Thursday, June 7, 2012

Summer

It's summer!  You would think this would be a relief and I'd be able to relax but I've actually been quite busy!  I am spending my time reviewing last year's lesson plans and vocabulary lists, turning my PowerPoint notes into more engaging Prezi presentations, and volunteering as well. 

Having the summers off so I can volunteer my time for a good cause is yet another reason I find teaching so appealing.  Don't get me wrong, I also plan to have some fun, relax, and get rejuvenated for the next school year this summer, but I am also looking forward to giving back.  I will be volunteering with Chicago HOPES, a non-profit organization that offers tutoring and a summer enrichment program for homeless K-8 students in Chicago. 

I have never worked with homeless students before and I am certain that volunteering with provide me with valuable insights about the struggles and challenges this at-risk group faces inside and outside of the classroom.

No comments:

Post a Comment