Monday, February 27, 2012

Lesson Plan Components

I believe there are four essential parts to any successful lesson plan: the set induction or hook, objectives, procedure, and plan for assessment.  It is also useful to include a list of the materials needed for the lesson, but this can be included within the lesson procedure.  The set induction or hook of a lesson is important because it not only activates students’ background knowledge but it also grabs students’ attention and get them engaged in the lesson from the very beginning.  

 Next, all my lesson plans include objectives, which clearly describe what students should be able to do following the lesson.  I always review each lesson's objectives with my students at the beginning of a lesson so they understand the purpose and importance of the lesson.  I have found this also helps them monitor their own learning throughout the lesson.  

The third important component of all my lessons plans is the procedure.  In my plans, my procedure describes precisely how students will meet the lesson objectives.  Within the procedure, I include how much time I expect class activities to take, I note potential discussion questions, and also questions I will ask to informally assess students during instruction.   

Finally, the last component I believe all lesson plans should include is the plan for assessment.  This allows one to measure the success of the lesson and also determine what content may need to be reinforced in future lessons.  My lesson assessments are usually uncomplicated.  I simply ask students to show they have met the lesson's objectives.  I find exit slips are a very efficient and effective way to have students demonstrate what they have learned from the lesson.  After instruction, it is also important to reflect on the strengths and weaknesses of the lesson and make appropriate changes to improve the lesson in the future. 

No comments:

Post a Comment